Iza Calzado appeals to MTRCB to reconsider X rating of ‘Bliss’

  • Page Views 646
  • Responding to the X rating the Movie and Television Review Classification Board gave her upcoming film “Bliss,” lead star Iza Calzado is appealing to the review board to reconsider.

    “Mawalang galang lang po sa MTRCB, nais kong lang pong maliwanagan kung ano yung standards natin ng X na pelikula. Bakit yung ibang mga foreign films na mas grabe pa ang mga eksena puwedeng maipalabas sa atin, at ang ‘Bliss’ hindi puwede? Hindi naman po porn ang pelikula namin. Sana kapag napalabas ang pelikula, tayo ang humusga,” she said.

    “I’d like to believe that my director—the award winning director of Heneral Luna—is a responsible director. Sana the film [would] be given a chance to be seen by the Filipino audience. Sana rin, this opens a discussion on our film rating standards,” Iza said in a statement furnished to InterAksyon by her manager, Noel Ferrer.

    For her portrayal of the film’s ill-fated lead character Jane Ciego, Iza won her first international acting recognition when she was honored with the Yakushi Pearl Award for Best Performer in the Osaka Asian Film Festival in Japan earlier this month.

    Ferrer ascribed the X rating to “explicit nudity” and told InterAksyon that the MTRCB committee’s report credited the nudity to Iza and another actress, Adrienne Vergara, who portrays a menacing nurse.

    The X rating means the MTRCB deems “Bliss” unfit for public exhibition. However, the producers can appeal the rating and submit the film for reevaluation.

    In most cases, producers are forced to edit out the scenes deemed offensive by the review board which might then give the film an R-18 or R-16 rating upon second or third review.

    But Iza’s appeal suggests that she prefers “Bliss” to be shown in its entirety and not watered down with further editing.

    In an earlier interview with InterAksyon, the film’s director, Jerrold Tarog, declined to discuss the details of the issue just yet.

    For its part, the film’s producer TBA Studios furnished InterAksyon with this press statement.

    “We understand and respect the decision of the MTRCB reviewing committee regarding the film ‘Bliss.’ We are currently going through the process of submitting an appeal for a second review and hope for a more favorable result.” (E. sallan, Interaksyon)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 09 December 2017
      2 days ago No comment

      Statement from the office of the late Senator Tobias C. Enverga, Jr.

      December 7, 2017 Ottawa, ON On behalf of the Enverga family, I wish to convey sincere thanks for the outpouring of love, support, and prayers given in the days following the passing of the Honourable Tobias C. Enverga, Jr. The family would like to thank the more than 7,000 ...

    • 06 December 2017
      5 days ago No comment

      City of Surrey and Statistics Canada Partner on Opioid Data Collection and Community Response Project

      For immediate release: Dec. 5, 2017  Surrey – There is a broad range of people who suffer from opioid use disorders and the lives that are being claimed by the overdose crisis is revealing that a significant number of the deaths are occurring in residential locations and in private. Understanding the factors ...

    • 03 December 2017
      1 week ago No comment

      Kisses is now a Star Pop artist

      PBB Lucky Season 7 2nd Big Placer Kisses Delavin finally introduced her highly anticipated debut album Kisses under Star Pop, Star Music’s new sublabel for the young market, to a jam-packed crowd at SM North EDSA Skydome recently. The rising teen star pepped up the show with an opening ...

    • 03 December 2017
      1 week ago No comment

      Michael V preparing for his inevitable exit from ‘Bubble Gang’

      For the past 22 years, Michael V has been the binding force of “Bubble Gang,” for which he works not only as an actor, but also a creative director. While having the long-running gag-comedy show without him is almost unimaginable, he knows that, at some point, he would have ...

    • 03 December 2017
      1 week ago No comment

      PBA in turmoil as Narvasa divides Board

      NOVEMBER 2017 SPECTATOR   THE PBA (Philippine Basketball Association) is in turmoil, all because of PBA Commissioner Chito Narvasa. No, the country’s No. 1 sporting entertainment is not losing money. But the league’s 7 breakway governors want Narvasa out. That’s when the trouble began. The Suicidal 7 could not ...

    %d bloggers like this: