‘Nakakatulala’: Judy Ann Santos in disbelief over shutdown of ABS-CBN

  • Page Views 590
  • Local superstar Judy Ann Santos said she is in disbelief over the government closure of ABS-CBN, her professional home of nearly three decades, and questioned the ill timing of shutting a prime source of entertainment and information amid a pandemic.

    “Nakakalungkot, nakakapanghina, nakakatulala,” Santos wrote on Instagram, as ABS-CBN ceased its TV and radio operations in compliance with the National Telecommunications Commission order on Tuesday.

    “Dalawang bagay ang hindi ko inakalang mangyayari sa buong buhay ko: ang maranasan ang ECQ (enhanced community quarantine) at magsara ang naging bahay at buhay ko mula 13 years old ako,” she said.

    Santos, 41, made her showbiz breakthough via the ABS-CBN series “Mara Clara” in 1992. Her succession of screen roles since then have made her a showbiz icon, who is now dubbed the “Queen of Pinoy Soap Opera.” Her most recent teleserye, “Starla,” concluded in January.

    “Maraming mas dapat pagtuunan ng pansin sa mga panahong ‘to. Maraming nangangailangan ng tulong mula sa gobyerno. Maraming natutulungan ang kumpanyang bumubuhay sa puso ng mga tao sa panahong ‘to sa pamamagitan ng mga programang pwedeng magpalibang at pansamantalang makalimutan ang mga problemang pinagdadaanan nating lahat,” she said.

    Addressing the government, Santos asked: “Bakit po? Bakit ngayon? Hindi po bang mas importanteng magtulungan tayo at magkaisa kahit pansamantala na muna habang may kinakaharap tayong mas malaking kaaway? Hindi po ba dapat sama-sama nating ginagawa ang puwede nating maggawa para makapagsilbi sa mamayang Pilipino?”

    Amid the coronavirus pandemic, ABS-CBN has led the wide-reaching fundraiser “Pantawid ng Pag-Ibig,” which has so far gathered P350 million and delivered relief to 2 million Filipinos.

    “Hindi ko naiintindihan kung may iilang tao ang nagbubunyi ngayon dahil nakuha at nagawa nilang maipasara ang ABS-CBN. Mas marami po kayong taong nasaktan at tinanggalan ng trabaho sa panahong lahat ng tao ay nag aalala kung paano bubuhayin ang mga pamilya nila,” Santos said, referring to the 11,000 employees of ABS-CBN whose livelihood have now been put at risk.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Nathan Longchallon
      18 September 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Missing Man in Burnaby: Nathan Longchallon, 26

      The Burnaby RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 26-year-old Nathan Longchallon. Nathan was last seen walking north bound on Patterson Avenue near Victory Street in Burnaby at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Nathan is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a slender build, ...

    • 17 September 2020
      3 days ago No comment

      B.C. election looms, while chance of federal election lessens

      B.C.’s next provincial election is scheduled to happen on October 16, 2021. But it could take place earlier if the B.C. NDP government of Premier John Horgan decides to call an election earlier. Or if the Horgan government loses the confidence of the legislative assembly. By many indications, Horgan ...

    • 17 September 2020
      3 days ago No comment

      Dr. Theresa Tam’s update on COVID-19 

      Ottawa, ON – Public Health Agency of Canada In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement: “There have been 138,803 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including 9,188 deaths. 88% of people have now recovered. Labs across ...

    • 17 September 2020
      3 days ago No comment

      Prime Minister announces next steps for Safe Restart Agreement

      As we move into the fall and the world continues to deal with the impacts of COVID-19, the Government of Canada remains focused on keeping Canadians safe and healthy, while continuing to ensure they have the supports needed during this global health and economic crisis. The Prime Minister, Justin ...

    • 17 September 2020
      3 days ago No comment

      Amal Clooney urges PH to protect press freedom, honor international commitments

      International human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin-Clooney on Tuesday urged the Philippine government to protect the free press and honor its international commitments on human rights. Speaking before Philippine business leaders in an online forum, Clooney said, “if you want to have a functioning democracy, protect the press. To protect ...

    %d bloggers like this: