Marawi residents return home

  • Page Views 1457
  • MARAWI CITY — Residents of this Lanao del Sur provincial capital, where Islamic State (IS) supporters waged a brutal five-month battle, began returning home on Tuesday, but gunfire greeted them as soldiers scoured devastated neighborhoods for remaining militants.

    The military announced on Monday that the fighting, which claimed more than 1,100 lives and left the eastern half of Marawi in ruins, had ended following a final clash in a two-story commercial building in which dozens of gunmen were killed.

    The militants had occupied Marawi on May 23 in what President Duterte and security analysts said was a bid to establish a Southeast Asian base for IS.

    Washington’s top diplomat in the Philippines said the United States provided surveillance aircraft and other equipment to help monitor and assess the militants’ positions during the campaign.

    The assistance was critical to the successful outcome of the fighting, Ambassador Sung Y. Kim told a small group of American reporters on the sidelines of an annual meeting of Southeast Asian defense chiefs with their Asian and Western counterparts at Clark Freeport in Pampanga province.

    The campaign to oust the militants turned into the Philippines’ longest urban war, forcing about 400,000 people to flee their homes as the pro-IS fighters defied almost daily bombing raids by hiding in basements, tunnels and mosques.

    Lomontong said her house had survived, although it had been looted.

    “Anything easy to take away was gone—television sets, laptops,” she said.

    Only a few dozen civilians could be seen on Tuesday morning on the outskirts of the mostly destroyed eastern half of Marawi, where regular bursts of gunfire and occasional explosions could still be heard.

    However, the sounds of war did not mean there was renewed fighting, according to Col. Romeo Brawner Jr., deputy commander of the military’s Joint Task Group Ranao.

    He told they were due to soldiers going through buildings looking for militants who may still be hiding, while troops were also detonating bombs that the gunmen had planted.

    “It’s possible that there were some [militants] left behind. In every war, that is the SOP (standard operating procedure),” Brawner said.

    “So the firing is part of the mopping operations, because if there are holes, tunnels (in buildings), then the troops fire first into the hole before they check with their flashlights,” he said.

    In the western half of the city, which largely escaped the fighting, hundreds of residents had begun returning.

    “I feel a mixture of joy and sadness,” businessman Gonaranko Mapandi Jr, 46, said as he stood close to a military checkpoint. “I’m happy because we are able to return. But I’m very sad at what happened to my city.” (Inquirer/ With reports from AFP and AP)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 20 May 2019
      4 hours ago No comment

      Canada comments on recall of Philippine ambassador and consuls over garbage issue

      On May 16, the Philippine government announcement that it has recalled its ambassador and consuls in Canada after Canada missed the May 15 deadline to take back garbage shipped to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014 by an Ontario company. Global Affairs Canada today issued the following statement:   ...

    • 19 May 2019
      23 hours ago No comment

      The 3rd annual Canada Day Drumming Celebration Challenges New World Record

      Vancouver, B.C. – With just two months to go until Canada Day, the organizing committee of the Canada Day Drumming Celebration is excited to announce that there will be ten (10) cities across five time zones participating this year. It includes Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Regina, Prince George, Kelowna, ...

    • 19 May 2019
      23 hours ago No comment

      OFW remittances reach 3-month high in March

      MONEY sent home by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) rose to a three-month high in March, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Wednesday. Personal remittances — made up of OFWs’ net compensation; personal transfers, whether in cash or kind; and capital transfers between households — reached $2.796 billion ...

    • 19 May 2019
      24 hours ago No comment

      Conglomerate still keen on MRT takeover

      Despite delays, Metro Pacific Investment Corp. (MPIC) is still keen on pursuing its P20-billion unsolicited proposal to take over the operation and maintenance of Metro Rail Transit line 3 (MRT-3) , according to its chairman Manuel Pangilinan. But MPIC cannot proceed until an ongoing arbitration case in Singapore is ...

    • 19 May 2019
      24 hours ago No comment

      BSP: Banking system sustains growth story

      The Bangko Sentral ng PIlipinas said that, with the banking system at its core, the financial system “remains resilient amid evolving domestic and global environment.” “The Philippine banking system sustained its growth story, maintained its solid footing as evidenced by its satisfactory asset quality, ample liquidity and solvency, profitable ...

    %d bloggers like this: