31 OFW repatriates to arrive from Syria

  • Page Views 8858
  • The repatriates previously worked and resided in Latakia, Tartous, Aleppo, and Damascus before deciding to avail of the MRP and sought shelter at the Philippine embassy in Damascus’ halfway  quarters.

    The International Organization for Migration shoulderedOFW the repatriates’ airfare.

    The new group brings the total number of Filipinos repatriated from Syria since the unrest started in 2011
    to 5,668. Of this figure, 2,696 were repatriated through Lebanon, with the cooperation of the Philippine embassy in Beirut.

    Meanwhile, Alert Level 4 still in place in Syria. The embassy continues to encourage the next-of-kin of OFWs still in Syria to get in touch with the embassy at the following contact details:

    Mobile : 00963-11-613-2626;
    00963-84-815-5557; 00963-93-495-7926; Relatives of Filipinos still in Syria are also encouraged to provide information of their family’s whereabouts or last known contact details in Syria so that immediate assistance can be extended to them. The embassy can also be reached through its Facebook page, The Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines, Damascus. (abs-cbn)

    DOJ dismisses ‘tanim-bala’ case vs OFW

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday ordered the dismissal of the complaint against Gloria Ortinez, an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) allegedly victimized by the “tanim-bala” scam at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). Susan “Toots” Ople, head of the Blas F. Ople Policy Center, announced the decision on Facebook.

    A resolution signed by Pasay City Prosecutor Nolasco M. Fernandez jr., dismissed the charges filed against Ortinez for lack of probable cause.

    The resolution also said that there was no indication, based on the statements of the complainants, that Ortinez had any intention to possess the ammunition.

    “While the case is known as malum prohibitum, intent to possess must be proven clearly and convincingly.” Likewise, it believes Ortinez had no intent to use the bullet for malevolent purposes.

    “The respondent is an OFW. There is no logical reason why she would possess the ammunition,” it said.

    “Finally, it is noteworthy that the bullet is a harmless article without the corresponding gun or firearm to fire it,” it added.

    Ortinez, an OFW bound for Hong Kong, was arrested after a bullet was allegedly found inside her hand-carry bag on October 25. She was released after the prosecutor said the bullet submitted as evidence was different from the one on the photograph sworn to by the police investigators and personnel of the Office for Transportation Security (OTS).

    Ortinez was also invited by the Senate to attend the first hearing on the alleged extortion scheme on Thursday morning. Ople earlier urged the DOJ to drop the charges against Ortinez, who is in danger of losing her job in Hong Kong. (abs-cbn)

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Nathan Longchallon
      18 September 2020
      4 days ago No comment

      Missing Man in Burnaby: Nathan Longchallon, 26

      The Burnaby RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 26-year-old Nathan Longchallon. Nathan was last seen walking north bound on Patterson Avenue near Victory Street in Burnaby at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Nathan is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a slender build, ...

    • 17 September 2020
      5 days ago No comment

      B.C. election looms, while chance of federal election lessens

      B.C.’s next provincial election is scheduled to happen on October 16, 2021. But it could take place earlier if the B.C. NDP government of Premier John Horgan decides to call an election earlier. Or if the Horgan government loses the confidence of the legislative assembly. By many indications, Horgan ...

    • 17 September 2020
      5 days ago No comment

      Dr. Theresa Tam’s update on COVID-19 

      Ottawa, ON – Public Health Agency of Canada In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement: “There have been 138,803 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including 9,188 deaths. 88% of people have now recovered. Labs across ...

    • 17 September 2020
      5 days ago No comment

      Prime Minister announces next steps for Safe Restart Agreement

      As we move into the fall and the world continues to deal with the impacts of COVID-19, the Government of Canada remains focused on keeping Canadians safe and healthy, while continuing to ensure they have the supports needed during this global health and economic crisis. The Prime Minister, Justin ...

    • 17 September 2020
      5 days ago No comment

      Amal Clooney urges PH to protect press freedom, honor international commitments

      International human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin-Clooney on Tuesday urged the Philippine government to protect the free press and honor its international commitments on human rights. Speaking before Philippine business leaders in an online forum, Clooney said, “if you want to have a functioning democracy, protect the press. To protect ...

    %d bloggers like this: