trump-duterte-call

Duterte, Trump make good connection in phone call

  • Page Views 1580
  • Relations between the Philippines and the United States could be headed toward a reboot.

    This comes after the December 2 telephone conversation between President Rodrigo Duterte and U.S. President-elect Donald Trump.

    “The conversation between President Duterte and President-elect Donald Trump went very well and it showed that there is a big possibility that we will have a reboot of [our]relationship [with]the United States,” Palace Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said over Philippine state-run Radyo ng Bayan.

    “There are so many aspects in our relationship: military, people-to-people, education, among others,” Andanar added.

    On December 2, Duterte said Trump wished him well on his anti-drug campaign, as the Republican billionaire “understood the way we are handling it and I said that there’s nothing wrong in protecting a country.”

    The Philippine President, in a video message released by Malacañang, said Trump told him the Philippine government was “doing it (war on illegal drugs) as a sovereign nation, the right way.”

    “I could sense a good rapport, an animated President-elect Trump. And he was wishing me success in my campaign against the drug problem,” Duterte said.

    Duterte’s demeanor toward Trump contrasted with his expletive-laden tirades at outgoing U.S. President Barack Obama, who had criticized the bloody drug war.

    The relationship has since cooled, with Obama cancelling a bilateral meeting with Duterte at the sidelines of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in September.

    Duterte for his part ordered a stop to joint exercises and naval patrols between the Philippine and US militaries, and announced a “separation” of foreign policy from Washington.

    Manila and Washington are treaty allies, with a Mutual Defense Treaty signed back in 1951. Both sides signed a Visiting Forces Agreement in 1998 that governs the stay of American troops during war games, and an Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement in 2014 that allows the rotational presence of US soldiers in designated Philippine military camps.

    The U.S. considers the Philippines a major non-NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) ally.

     

    The office of President Duterte has claimed that Trump invited Duterte to visit the White House next year during Friday’s phone call. Andanar said the visit had yet to be set.

    There is also no schedule yet for the presentation of credentials of U.S. Ambassador-designate Sung Kim, who arrived in Manila last December 1.

    Trump’s seven-minute chat with the firebrand Philippine president follows months of uncertainty about one of Washington’s most important Asian alliances, stoked by Duterte’s hostility towards President Obama and repeated threats to sever decades-old defense ties.

    Duterte’s anger was unleashed following Obama’s concerns about possible human rights abuses in his war on drugs, during which more than 2,000 people have been killed.

    His special adviser, Christopher Go, had earlier said in a text message to media that Trump had invited Duterte to visit the White House next year.

    There appeared to be confusion, however. Duterte mentioned an invite to Washington and New York, and that Trump asked him to notify him of his presence “if I’m around”.

    Duterte made waves when he visited China in October and announced his “separation” from the United States.

    In five months in office, he has upended Philippine foreign policy by berating the United States, pursuing a new alliance with Russia and also China, with which Manila has a history of bitter disputes.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 23 January 2018
      16 mins ago No comment

      Leni Robredo’s rating bounces back

      Vice President Leni Robredo’s net trust ratings surged back to “very good” in the last three months of 2017, according to the latest Social Weather Stations  survey released Tuesday. The poll, conducted from Dec. 8-16, 2017, showed 66 percent of Filipinos with much trust on Robredo and 14 percent ...

    • 22 January 2018
      20 hours ago No comment

      State of Calamity proclaimed in Albay due to Mayon Volcano

      A state of calamity has been declared in the province of Albay due to the possible violent eruption of Mount Mayon, which as been manifesting intense volcanic activity in the recent week or so. There were at least 49 tremors overnight associated with the volcanic activity. Visual monitoring has ...

    • 22 January 2018
      22 hours ago No comment

      A Canadian Army Career: Perfect fit for Master Warrant Officer Suzanne McAdam

      Edmonton, Alberta — In the Canadian Army, Master Warrant Officer Suzanne McAdam has found a career that fits both her strengths and interests. For a short while, it seemed to MWO McAdam that her Army uniform might never be comfortable. Back in 1992 and just two days after her ...

    • 22 January 2018
      1 day ago No comment

      The Greatest Showman (G)

      Big Top! The Greatest Showman. Larger than life. Hugh Jackman takes to the big top to turn in a bravado performance in The Greatest Showman. Direct 20th Century Fox this rousing musical scores high on the entertainment scale. Check out this fresh film at Cineplex Cinemas throughout B.C. Full of ...

    • 20 January 2018
      3 days ago No comment

      GSIS plans more overseas investments

      State-run Government Service Insurance System ( GSIS ) is planning to invest $800 million overseas to diversify its investments and take advantage of good returns. In a press briefing, GSIS president and general manager Jesus Clint Aranas said the state pension fund is planning to further increase its overseas ...

    %d bloggers like this: