Ex-leaders back in Palace

  • Page Views 1046
  • For the first time in Philippine history, four former presidents returned to Malacañang Wednesday to discuss with the incumbent President and members of the National Security Council (NSC) “vital policies and strategies” for the future of the country.

    Former presidents Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, Fidel Ramos, Joseph Estrada and Benigno Aquino 3rd gathered at the Palace yesterday afternoon for the NSC meeting convened by President Rodrigo Duterte.

    It was the first time that Arroyo set foot at the Palace since she stepped down from the presidency six years ago.

    Discussed during the meeting that started at 3 p.m. were various important issues such as the ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration that invalidated China’s nine-dash line claim on the West Philippines Sea, the peace and development roadmap and updates on the government’s anti-illegal drug campaign.

    National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said 42 people were invited for yesterday’s meeting. Among those invited were the Senate President, House Speaker, minority leaders of both houses, chairmen of the committees on defense and security, peace and order, the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency director general, Armed Forces chief,

    Philippine National Police chief, and the director of the National Bureau of Investigation.

    Also present was Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo.

    The NSC was created during the Quirino administration through Executive Order No. 330, dated July 1, 1950. It was reorganized by virtue of EO 115, series of 1986.

    The President, together with 35 members of the NSC from the executive and legislative

    branch, was to discuss the recent ruling of the United Nation’s tribunal on our sea dispute with China.

    “The President will lead the NSC in a multipartisan dialogue in order to agree on vital policies and strategies on important matters, including the recent ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration on the West Philippine Sea,” the Palace said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Malacañang said an overview of the road map for peace and development was to be presented in the first council meeting.

    Duterte decided to convene the NSC in the wake of the arbitral tribunal’s ruling invalidating China’s massive claim over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

    Ramos, a member of the council, has agreed to be the country’s special envoy to Beijing.

    China claims almost the entire South China Sea, home to vital shipping lanes and also believed to hold vast mineral reserves. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan also have often overlapping claims.(C. Valente, MT)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 24 July 2017
      2 hours ago No comment

      Lopez bags taekwondo gold in Korea

      PAULINE Louise Lopez did the Philippines proud by bagging a gold medal in the recent 2017 Korea Open international taekwondo championships in Chuncheon City, Korea. Lopez, a 21-year-old Ateneo psychology student, swept her first four opponents in the under-57 kilogram competition en route to the finals where she dominated ...

    • 24 July 2017
      4 hours ago No comment

      KC Concepcion opens up on struggle with fitness journey

      Anyone who’s tried to become fit and healthy knows that it involves strength and discipline beyond the physical. No one understands this more than KC Concepcion. The host and actress has been candid with her fitness journey, previously sharing that she suffered from adrenal fatigue which forced her to ...

    • 24 July 2017
      6 hours ago No comment

      Physical appearance no big deal for Alessandra de Rossi

      A guy’s physical appearance isn’t all that important for singer-actress Alessandra de Rossi. “My ideal guy is someone who’s kind, smart and God-fearing. His looks are never a factor, because we sleep at night, anyway—and I can always fantasize,” she quipped. The Inquirer asked her if it was possible ...

    • 24 July 2017
      8 hours ago No comment

      Expecting

      Six months after tying the knot, Kaye Abad announced she is expecting a baby with husband Paul Jake Castillo. She did soon Instagram by posting a photo of her sonogram. She used the hashtags “MayBabyCastilloNaSiAbad,” “blessed,” and “excited.” Nikki Gil is also on the growing list of pregnant celebrities. ...

    • 22 July 2017
      2 days ago No comment

      Andrea Torres renews ties with GMA Network

      Beautiful and multi-talented actress Andrea Torres continues her journey as a Kapuso as she renewed her exclusive contract with GMA Network on July 18. Present in the contract signing were GMA Senior Vice President for Entertainment TV Lilybeth G. Rasonable, GMA Senior Assistant Vice President for Alternative Productions Gigi ...

    %d bloggers like this: