Trump, Trudeau expected in Manila for ASEAN summit

  • Page Views 1247
  • The Philippines will host a summit of leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), plus other world leaders.

    The summit in November 2017 will be attended by over 22 VIPs — all 10 ASEAN states plus their dialogue partners, the heads of state or heads of government of the United States, Russia, India, China, Japan, Korea, European Union, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and East Timor, and the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres.

    Ambassador Marciano Paynor Jr., ASEAN 2017 National Organizing Council (NOC) Director-General for Operations, said the Philippine government expects 100 percent attendance in multilateral meetings.

    Paynor said that U.S. President Donald Trump is likely to attend.

    “As of now, President Trump for instance, when [Philippine]President [Rodrigo] Duterte called him up to congratulate him, had already indicated that he was coming in November. So at least verbally he said he was coming. I am almost sure that the nine other ASEAN member states will also be coming back in November,” he said.

    “The usual dialogue partners — Japan, Korea — China, Japan, Korea, I am sure, Australia and New Zealand, they have never missed any of these meetings. So there will be one or two who may not be able to come but this is because of let say internal issues with their individual countries,” Paynor said.

     

    Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is also expected to attend the ASEAN summit hosted by the Philippines in November.

    Trudeau visited Manila in November 2015 for the summit of leaders of countries belonging to the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.

    ASEAN member states are Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

    The November 2017 summit will also mark ASEAN’s 50th anniversary.

    Due to recent events, the Philippines has beefed up security preparations in Bohol, where an ASEAN trade meeting is underway, and in Manila ahead of the 30th ASEAN Summit and Related Meetings which will be held from April 26 to 29.

    In a press briefing in Malacañang, Paynor  said security has always been the top priority of organizers given the participation of heads of states and other top government officials in the various meetings and summits throughout the year.

    “Philippine hosting of ASEAN in 2017 is a total number 137 meetings, two summits, 17 ministerial meetings, 42 senior officials meetings, and 76 technical working group meetings,” Paynor said.

     

    But due to the recent incident in Bohol, security preparations has become a special concern even among delegates.

    Recently, suspected Abu Sayyaf members engaged government troopers in a gunfight in Inabanga town that resulted to the killing of six suspected members of the bandit group, three soldiers, and one policeman.

    The area is some 71 kilometers from the capital Tagbilaran City and the adjoining Panglao Island where ASEAN traders are attending the Intercessional Regional Economic Partnership Trade Negotiating Committee from April 19 to 21.

    “When the incidents unfolded last week, we, of course, had an emergency meeting and as part of the NOC, we have a Committee on Security and Disaster Preparedness. So they went to Bohol, I did go also and we had a brief meeting,” Paynor said.

    He said the Security Committee felt that the situation has been contained and therefore, the meeting should go on adding that “it was natural, of course, for some of the Embassies to ask us our plans.”

    “We have, of course, alternate plans and that meeting would have been held here in Manila had it been necessary to do so. But we always say we will not be coerced or held hostage by these actions. But at the same time, we need to be sure that we can assure the safety of the delegates. So as of now, the meeting is a go,” Paynor said.

    As for the upcoming leaders’ summit in Manila, the official said that their number one priority is to have a sense zero-incident type of meeting.

    “It’s very difficult to prepare for something that you are not really totally and fully aware of. So we try as much as we can to hardened venues… in our security preparations, keeping in mind also the President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive that we should not hamper or hinder the normal flow of daily activities here in the Metro Manila area,” he said.

    “So we’re doing all that and because of this most recent incident, we are beefing up our security elements,” Paynor said.

    The April and November summits will be particularly heavy in terms of security.

    The April 29 summit to be attended by leaders of all 10 ASEAN member-states.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 20 May 2018
      2 days ago No comment

      Poke-what?

      Two decades ago somewhere in Tokyo, a young Japanese boy spent his playtime catching all sorts of insects and tadpoles. Over time the young boy’s obsession of catching creatures evolved into a hobby that created a game of catching, training and trading creatures – all in an electronic world. ...

    • 20 May 2018
      2 days ago No comment

      Just another day in political paradise

      I must admit, I had high hopes for politics in Canada. After being exposed to the politics we have in the Philippines, it is no wonder that you do not see a lot of Filipino-Canadians running for office here or any other part of the world. We have been jaded ...

    • 20 May 2018
      2 days ago No comment

      TRAIN law exceeds revenue target

      In first quarter The government registered a net revenue gain in the implementation of the Duterte administration’s first tax reform law in the first three months of the year owing to higher taxes remitted by the tobacco industry. Instead of a net loss of at least P3.2 billion in ...

    • 20 May 2018
      2 days ago No comment

      ABS-CBN files $5 million lawsuit against Dazcon Inc. in Canada for copyright infringement

      TORONTO, Ontario – Acting on reports from its own customers, ABS-CBN, the leading Filipino media and entertainment company in the world, served today a Statement of Claim issued in Canadian Federal Court against Dazcon Inc. arising out of set-top boxes that enabled buyers to illegally access hundreds of ABS-CBN’s ...

    • 19 May 2018
      3 days ago No comment

      NPA rejects Hector Bremner’s bid for party’s Vancouver mayoral nomination

      The Non Partisan Association’s (NPA) was rocked with controversy when it rejected high-profile mayoral candidate Hector Bremner. The party’s decision, say some of its observers,  shows the lack of transparency, and is “stuck in an old ‘backroom’ boys mentality” as well as an anti-immigrant bias. Bremner, who is very ...

    %d bloggers like this: