Canada Leading International Efforts in the Philippines

  • Page Views 940
  • Montréal, Quebec – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today hosted a roundtable meeting with members of Montreal’s Filipino-Canadian community and announced a commitment of $5 million in additional humanitarian assistance to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Hagupit.

    “It is heartbreaking that the people of the Philippines have been hit once again with such a destructive typhoon while still dealing with the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada’s support will help to respond to needs identified by the Government of the Philippines, such as for water, sanitation, emergency shelter, and other essential relief items for those affected by the typhoon.”

     

    canada-leading
    Typhoon Hagupit first hit the Philippines as a Category 3 typhoon on December 6, 2014, making it the most powerful storm to hit the Philippines this year. Hagupit has affected nearly 2.8 million people, and more than 43,000 houses have been damaged across the affected areas.

    The Government of the Philippines has confirmed 18 deaths, and more than 1.7 million people have been evacuated.

    Typhoon Hagupit also impacted some areas already affected by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago.

    To that end, Minister Paradis also announced last week that Canada will be extending the deadline for the Typhoon Haiyan Reconstruction Assistance Call for Proposals to February 13, 2015.
    This will give Canadian organizations on the ground more time to mobilize their responses to Typhoon Hagupit, as needed, and to consider, Hagupit’s implications in Haiyan-affected areas.

    “Canada is steadfast in its commitment to helping the Filipino people in their efforts to restore their livelihoods and build a better future for their country,” reiterated Minister Paradis. “Canada was proud to help in the relief effort in 2013, and we are proud to assist again this year.”

    Quick Facts
    • When Typhoon Hagupit hit the Philippines on December 6, 2014, Canada was already exploring how it could help, working closely with humanitarian partners and the Government of the Philippines.
    • In 2014, the Philippines was confirmed as a country of focus for the Government of Canada’s international development efforts.

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 16 July 2018
      10 hours ago No comment

      Manny Pacquiao is back!

      By EDDIE G. ALINEA KUALA LUMPUR – “I’m back! With these words, Filipino boxing icon served notice to the whole world of his third coming after devastating losses he suffered the past seven years. Defeats dealt him by arch-rivals Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012 and Floyd Mayweather Jr. in ...

    • 16 July 2018
      15 hours ago No comment

      Glaiza works hard in Contessa

      GLAIZA De Castro revealed that some of the episodes of her hit afternoon show, “Contessa,” are recorded in the morning and aired in the same afternoon. “Naubusan kasi kami ng stocked episodes,” she said. “Dalawang taping days namin, inabot ng maghapong ulan, lalo na ‘yung set in Daranak Falls ...

    • 16 July 2018
      17 hours ago No comment

      Barbie as Happylou!

      Barbie Forteza has reason to rejoice because her primetime show, “Inday Will Always Love You,” continues to clobber its rival show in the ratings game. Her performance as the very positive and perky Happylou is truly a big winner as viewers just can’t seem to get enough of her. ...

    • Pacquiao Vs Mathysse weight In
      14 July 2018
      3 days ago No comment

      15 Family They’re all here

      KUALA LUMPUR – “I hope and pray that Manny wins, so I  can have a  happy birthday celebration.” Thus, declared Manny Pacquiao’s father Rosalio in halting Tagalog when chance upon Friday by this writer at the Le Meridiene Hotel lobby where members of his family, team, friends, and supporters are billeted ...

    • 11 July 2018
      6 days ago No comment

      Zanjoe opens up on rumored romance: ‘Kinikilig ako’

      Zanjoe Marudo on Tuesday finally addressed rumors that he is now dating anew months after he was first spotted with model Josie Prendergast. In an interview with ABS-CBN News on Tuesday, Marudo pointed out that he now has time for love. “Ngayon may time na dahil natapos ko na ...

    %d bloggers like this: