• Page Views 1225
  • Canada will expand its campaign of air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) group and for the first time strike it in Syria as well as Iraq, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said March 24. Harper’s motion outlining the enlarged mission was assured of passage with the backing of his Conservative majority. Passage of the motion would authorize the expanded air campaign until March 2016.

    No ground combat troops would be deployed under the plan, which will formally come up for debate in the House of Commons. Canada first joined the US-led airstrikes on the IS group in November. It also deployed about 70 special forces troops to train Kurds in northern Iraq. A clash mid-January in which the Canadians came under mortar and machine gun fire while training Iraqi troops near the front lines, as well as the March 6 friendly fire death of a Canadian soldier, however, have heightened political divisions in Ottawa over the fight against IS.

    Addressing parliament, Harper said his government has decided “to explicitly expand that air combat mission to include Syria.”

    The aim, he said, is to prevent the IS jihadist group from moving heavy equipment across the Iraqi border into Syria to avoid coalition air strikes.

    “In our view, ISIL must cease to have any safe haven in Syria,” Harper said, using his government’s preferred acronym for the Islamic State group.

    Harper had been reluctant to expand Canadian strikes into Syria — where US and Arab jets are already operating — to avoid implicitly aiding Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

    Canada has imposed sanctions on the regime and supports the so-called “moderate” rebels — rather than IS or al-Qaeda linked groups — that are fighting to oust him. But on March 24 Harper said: “The government has now decided that we will not seek the express consent of the Syrian government.”

    Harper said Canada’s objectives remain the same: to degrade IS’ capabilities, including “its ability to engage in military movements of scale, to operate bases in the open, to expand its presence in the region, and to propagate attacks outside the region.” He said the situation on the ground has “evolved,” but did not say exactly how except to suggest that the coalition’s air strikes over the last six months have resulted in modest gains. He said the jihadists’ “territorial spread has been more or less halted” and the group “has been pushed back somewhat at the margins,” but its “territorial hold remains substantial, and its leadership and networking of wider jihadist forces has continued.” He also noted that IS fighters have threatened Canada in propaganda videos.
    Opposition New Democratic Party leader Thomas Mulcair rejected the government’s arguments, insisting: “Canada has no place in this war.”

    “The United States has been mired in the Iraq for more than a decade and the Americans absolutely don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel,” he said.

    “Is the prime minister trying to have us believe that he will be able to use his military strength to force a solution in Iraq, after everyone else has failed over the last ten years,” he added. “It doesn’t hold water,” Mulcair further said.

    Justin Trudeau, leader of the third-ranked Liberals, also withheld his party’s support for the war, saying it does not serve Canada’s interests. He said Canada “has a role to play in the campaign against ISIL.”

    But he added, the prime minister is proposing a “vague and endless combat mission” that risks helping Assad consolidate his grip on power.

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 19 January 2019
      3 hours ago No comment

      “I want to prove something,” says Pacquiao on eve of Broner fight

      LAS VEGAS – It’s often said that life begins at 40. For Manny Pacquiao, being 40 years old could be a new beginning. On the eve of his January 19 fight with American boxer Adrien Broner, Pacquiao said that he is intent on doing something. “I have something to ...

    • 19 January 2019
      7 hours ago No comment

      Overweight Filipino boxer Jhack Tepora fails to make Pacquiao-Broner undercard

      LAS VEGAS – Tinimbang pero sobra. Jhack Tepora came to the weigh-in with extra pounds, and the pride of Cebu paid for it dearly. Tepora was stripped of his interim WBA featherweight belt after failing to make 126-pound weight limit on Friday (January 18). Tepora was also disqualified from ...

    • 18 January 2019
      1 day ago No comment

      4 Pinoy boxers fight in undercard matches in Pacquiao-Broner brawl

      LAS VEGAS – Manny Pacquiao isn’t the only fighter who will carry the Philippine colours on Saturday (January 19). Four Filipino sluggers will also enter the ring at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in their own quests for boxing glory. One of them is WBA interim-featherweight champion Jhack Tepora. ...

    • 17 January 2019
      3 days ago No comment

      AWARD-WINNING FILIPINA POP SINGER FROM JAPAN, ANALYN ALMERINO, TO PERFORM IN RICHMOND ON FEB 9:YOUR CHANCE TO WIN FREE TICKETS

      Analyn Almerino is just 19, but she has already taken first place in two nationally televised singing competitions in Japan. On Feb 9, she will be giving a solo concert in her North American debut, at the Cultural Centre in Richmond, BC. Born in the Philippines, Analyn’s family moved ...

    • 17 January 2019
      3 days ago No comment

      Brillante Mendoza’s acclaimed ‘Alpha’ arrives in cinemas

      The “Alpha” team, led by Mendoza and actors Allen Dizon, Elijah Filamor, and Baron Geisler, came in full force to support the film that had brought honor to our country in international film festivals. FDCP Chairperson Liza Dino, Solar Entertainment General Manager Butch Ibanez, SM Cinema VP for Corporate ...

    %d bloggers like this: