Canada will accept up to 305,000 newcomers in 2016

  • Page Views 3052
  • Canada will accept up to 305,000 newcomers in 2016

    Compared to 2015, Canada will welcome more newcomers to the country in 2016.

    The country will accept up to 305,000 newcomers. The difference from 2015 is 21,000 newcomers.

    According to Toronto Star, more emphasis is being placed on family reunification and refugees.

    Refugees are seeing the biggest increase. Toronto Star reported that in addition to the 25,000 refugees from Syria the government committed to resettling in Canada by the end of February, Ottawa has tripled the number of privately sponsored refugees to 18,000 spaces.

    In previous years that number was set at about 6,000. In total, Ottawa plans to welcome about 55,800 refugees this year.

    At the heart of this year’s plan is Canada’s shared conviction and tradition of being a “compassionate, open, generous and welcoming country,” Immigration Minister John McCallum said at a news conference.

    Toronto Star reported that according to McCallum, this plan “outlines a significant shift in immigration policy towards reuniting more families, building our economy and upholding Canada’s humanitarian tradition to resettle refugees and offer protection to those in need”.

    “This is a notable increase from the annual planning range that has been in place in recent years,” said McCallum. “It is the highest number of projected immigrant admissions put forth by the government of Canada in modern times.”

    “Our plan will improve processing times and our backlogs will go down in our different immigration categories, including those for spouses, partners and children and parents and grandparents because we will be able to welcome more people to Canada.”

    According to Toronto Star, family reunification spots — which include spouses, partners and children — will also rise to about 80,000 — up from last year’s 68,000 spots.

    “We know the value of keeping families together, including immigrant families,” said McCallum. “There is a social value to this as well as an economic value that benefits all society.”

    However, to accommodate these increases fewer economic immigrants will be welcomed into Canada — about 162,400 spots are guaranteed in this class, down from last year’s 181,000.

    Even with the decline, economic immigrants will still account for the majority of admissions to Canada, McCallum added.

    What’s more the number of economic immigrant admissions for this year still remains in line with those of previous years, said McCallum. The average admission level in the economic immigrant class between 2005 and 2014 was 154,544 spots, the minister said.

    The 2016 plan was tabled in the House of Commons just before McCallum announced it in Brampton. Each November, the government is required to table its plan for acceptance of permanent residents in the coming year. But it was delayed last fall because of the October federal election.

    In the Toronto Star report, McCallum also promised his department will work on cutting processing times and backlogs that exist in many of the immigration streams such as refugees, caregivers and members of the family class, putting into place lessons learned in the quick processing of Syrian refugees.

    “My single top priority is to reduce those backlogs and to reduce the processing times . . . We will be working to improve the efficiency with which the department treats applications.”

    McCallum also told the news conference his department is trying to develop reforms for the Express Entry system which may make it easier for international students to become permanent residents

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Eugenio-Lopez-iii
      24 September 2020
      12 hours ago No comment

      ABS-CBN’s statement on the resignation of chairman emeritus Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III

      ABS-CBN said Thursday Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III resigned as the Chairman Emeritus and Director of ABS-CBN Corp effective immediately. Read ABS-CBN’s official statement below: Mr. Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III, today, tendered his resignation for personal reasons as Chairman Emeritus and Director of ABS-CBN Corporation. Mr. Lopez also tendered his ...

    • Nathan Longchallon
      18 September 2020
      6 days ago No comment

      Missing Man in Burnaby: Nathan Longchallon, 26

      The Burnaby RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 26-year-old Nathan Longchallon. Nathan was last seen walking north bound on Patterson Avenue near Victory Street in Burnaby at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Nathan is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a slender build, ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      B.C. election looms, while chance of federal election lessens

      B.C.’s next provincial election is scheduled to happen on October 16, 2021. But it could take place earlier if the B.C. NDP government of Premier John Horgan decides to call an election earlier. Or if the Horgan government loses the confidence of the legislative assembly. By many indications, Horgan ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      Dr. Theresa Tam’s update on COVID-19 

      Ottawa, ON – Public Health Agency of Canada In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement: “There have been 138,803 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including 9,188 deaths. 88% of people have now recovered. Labs across ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      Prime Minister announces next steps for Safe Restart Agreement

      As we move into the fall and the world continues to deal with the impacts of COVID-19, the Government of Canada remains focused on keeping Canadians safe and healthy, while continuing to ensure they have the supports needed during this global health and economic crisis. The Prime Minister, Justin ...

    %d bloggers like this: