A community picnic at Vancouver’s Slocan Park, and a formal gala gathering at a prestigious downtown hotel are two of the highlights of this year’s Philippine Independence Day celebrations.
The Slocan Park picnic on June 6 and the dinner on June 13 at the Pan Pacific Vancouver Hotel are being organized by the United Filipino Canadian Associations. The group, representing major organizations and personalities in the Filipino community, is working with the Philippine Consulate General. The Slocan Park picnic, known for its Parada ng Lechon, will be a whole day event, starting at 9 a.m.
The June 13 gala night will be held at the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver’s Crystall Ballroom. A Philippine Independence Day event will also be held in Surrey on June 6.
Here’s a rundown of the events planned for this year’s 117th Philippine Independence Day celebrations:
– May 29 Kundiman atbp concert. 7 p.m. Auditorium at the Oasis. Elgin Village, 9025 160th Street, Surrey.
– June 4 Dimasalang III Artists exhibit. Surrey Art Centre.
– June 6. Naranyag nga Bulan concert. 7 p.m. Saint Michael’s Anglican Church. 409 Broadway, Vancouver.
– June 6 Picnic at Peace Arch by SPIDS
– June 7 flag raising at New Westminster.
– June 13-14 Independence Day gathering at North Vancouver.
– June 14 Pamana concert. 7 p.m. Saint Patrick’s Church. 2881 Main Street. Vancouver. -June 20. Flagraising in Richmond and celebration at Landsdowne Mall.