Vancouver, BC – It is hard not to get swept up in the excitement of the Women’s World Cup Soccer happening in our own backyard! However scammers might target soccer fans looking for good, cheap tickets for any of the in- demand international games.
Better Business Bureau serving Mainland B.C. is warning consumers to be careful when shopping for tickets online. BBB and the Vancouver Police have dealt with many ticket scams in the past and highly recommend customers be extra vigilant before parting with their hard earned cash with hopes of catching Christine Sinclair find the back of the net.
“Forgeries are getting so good that in person it’s often hard to tell the difference between real tickets and fake tickets,” says Evan Kelly, Senior Communications Advisor for BBB serving Mainland BC.
“Every time a big event comes through people get scammed with fake tickets and now scammers have multiple opportunities with the World Cup in town.”
BBB experience shows these scammers will target Buy and Sell sites like Kijiji and Craigslist or create fake social media accounts that ask for money up front and either provide fake tickets or none at all.
To enjoy the event at a reasonable price without getting scammed, BBB offers the following tips.
• BBB advises consumers to ask questions before handing over any money. It’s no different than signing a contract; get as much information as you need to make an informed decision.
• Ask who the seller is. And ask for identification if necessary.
• Ask what the ticket bar code and number are. Use that information to confirm with the ticket agent and confirm the tickets are legitimate.
• Plan to meet the seller in public. Tell a friend where and when you’re meeting and track any email or phone communication.
• Do not wire money; if you do, use a secure service like PayPal.
• It’s always best to buy from the venue itself or a reputable ticket broker.
BBB also advises consumers to watch out for ticket scams for any big sporting event or concert.
For more consumer tips you can trust visit bbb.org/mbc