DUTERTE SENDS OFF PH OLYMPIANS

  • Page Views 2929
  • rio-logoThe decades-long tradition that was interrupted for six years will be re-lived today when newly-installed President Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte presides over the send off ceremony for the Rio de Janeiro-bound Filipino athletes competing in the Olympic Games August 5 to 21 in that Brazilian premier City.

    President Digong is definitely coming to the 2:30 p.m. ceremony in Malacanan.

    “Yeah, the President is coming to personally wish our athletes good luck and boost their morale,” Philippine Sport Commission commissioner Charles Maxey assured last Thursday when he appeared as guest at the SCOOP On Air episode of daily program Tropang Bistag aired over rdio station DZEC.

    Maxey said it was special presidential assistant Bong Go who informed PSC Chair Butch Ramirez of President Duterte’s presence in the send off rites.

    “President Digong loves our athletes knowing that they, among others, have been serving as our country’s saving grace from the negative publicities we’ve been getting overseas,” Maxey added.

    All presidents from President Manuel Quezon down to Gloria Maxcapagal-Arroyo had made it one of their duties to send off and welcome national sports delegations leaving and returning the country to carry the Philippine flag to and from all international competitions as the Southeast Asian Games, Asian Games and Olympic Games.

    A tradition broken by ex-President Benigno Aquino III in the six years of his administration making him the only Chief of State who failed to do so.

    Only six of the 10 Filipino Olympic hopefuls will be on hand though to receive President DU-30’s blessing — Ian Lariba in tabe tennis, Elaine Alora in taekwondo, Miguel Tabuena in golf, Maristella Torres in athletics and Hydeline Diaz and Gregorio Colonia in weightlifting as the four others who have so far earned their tickets are still training overseas in preparation for the Rio joust.

    They are marathoner Mary Jay Tabal, boxers Rodel Ladon and Charlie Suarez, hurdler Ericson Cray, who are all in the United States and will fly to Rio from there.

    No one from the PSC could be contacted however the whole day yesterday by members of the POC-PSC Media Group whether they can cover the Malacanan proceedings although POC vice president Joey Romasanta told this writer it is most-likely they won’t be allowed.

    “TV-5 personnel have been calling us here in the POC asking how they can cover the event since the network is the official carrier of the Games,” Romasanta said. “As in previous occasions it’s the Palace which decides on the matter.”

    “Sabi ko na lang, magtiis na muna at least after six years eh makikita na ng ating mga ang ating Pangulo na matagal na nating di nararanasan,” he said rather kiddingly.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Eugenio-Lopez-iii
      24 September 2020
      12 hours ago No comment

      ABS-CBN’s statement on the resignation of chairman emeritus Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III

      ABS-CBN said Thursday Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III resigned as the Chairman Emeritus and Director of ABS-CBN Corp effective immediately. Read ABS-CBN’s official statement below: Mr. Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III, today, tendered his resignation for personal reasons as Chairman Emeritus and Director of ABS-CBN Corporation. Mr. Lopez also tendered his ...

    • Nathan Longchallon
      18 September 2020
      6 days ago No comment

      Missing Man in Burnaby: Nathan Longchallon, 26

      The Burnaby RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 26-year-old Nathan Longchallon. Nathan was last seen walking north bound on Patterson Avenue near Victory Street in Burnaby at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Nathan is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a slender build, ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      B.C. election looms, while chance of federal election lessens

      B.C.’s next provincial election is scheduled to happen on October 16, 2021. But it could take place earlier if the B.C. NDP government of Premier John Horgan decides to call an election earlier. Or if the Horgan government loses the confidence of the legislative assembly. By many indications, Horgan ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      Dr. Theresa Tam’s update on COVID-19 

      Ottawa, ON – Public Health Agency of Canada In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement: “There have been 138,803 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including 9,188 deaths. 88% of people have now recovered. Labs across ...

    • 17 September 2020
      1 week ago No comment

      Prime Minister announces next steps for Safe Restart Agreement

      As we move into the fall and the world continues to deal with the impacts of COVID-19, the Government of Canada remains focused on keeping Canadians safe and healthy, while continuing to ensure they have the supports needed during this global health and economic crisis. The Prime Minister, Justin ...

    %d bloggers like this: