‘Ma’ Rosa’ not joining MMFF, set for nationwide commercial

  • Page Views 1688
  • Brillante Mendoza will not submit his acclaimed Cannes entry “Ma’ Rosa” to the Metro Manila Film Festival, after all.

    Instead, the award-winning filmmaker made a surprise announcement on Saturday by that his latest film, which recently won the Cannes Best Actress award for lead star Jaclyn Jose, will have its nationwide theatrical run starting July 6.

    Mendoza also ended speculations about his earlier intention of joining MMFF by simply saying “No” when asked by InterAksyon.

    Carlo Camilo Valenzona, line producer for “Ma’ Rosa”, added that they will announce further developments on the film’s Philippine premiere, particularly which cinemas will screen it. As co-founder and festival director of the Sinag Maynila, Mendoza has worked closely with SM Cinemas so there’s a strong likelihood that it will be screened by the country’s largest cinema chain.

    Ma-RosaMendoza did not give a reason why he decided not to enter “Ma’ Rosa” to the MMFF. But had he pushed through with his earlier plan, the world premiere of “Ma’ Rosa” at this year’s Cannes International Film Festival may go against the MMFF’s existing rule that “entries must not be shown publicly or in any film festival prior to their submission to the festival.”

    This was the controversial rule that resulted in the disqualification of Erik Matti’s “Honor Thy Father” from the Best Picture category in last year’s festival as it was the opening film of the Cinema One Originals film festival held one month before the MMFF.

    The “Honor Thy Father” case which led to a congessional inquiry ultimately resulted in the revamp of the MMFF’s executive committee which has introduced changes in the rules and selection criteria.

    Another existing rule, on the running time limit of two and a half hours, may also hinder the entry of another arthouse quality film, Lav Diaz’s “Ang Babaeng Humayo,” the comeback film of actress and former ABS-CBN president and CEO, Charo Santos-Concio.

    A source told InterAksyon that “Ang Babaeng Humayo” will have a running time of about four hours, similar to the length of Diaz’s most accessible film, “Norte, Sa Hangganan ng Kasaysayan”.

    MMFF executive committee member Edward Cabagnot, however, told InterAksyon that nothing is definite yet as “the rules are still being tweaked, especially regarding deadlines.”

    (E. Sallan, Interaksyon)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 29 March 2017
      7 hours ago No comment

      Nadine Lustre is Fav Pinoy Star of 2017 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Award

      Thanks in large part to her social media votes, actress Nadine Lustre was named Favorite Pinoy Star of 2017 at the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in ceremonies held in Los Angeles last Monday. Nadine bested Janella Salvador, Liza Soberano and Janine Gutierrez for the coveted award, which was based ...

    • 29 March 2017
      10 hours ago No comment

      Barbie Forteza a Hit with “Meant To Be”

      In our last dinner with Regal’s Mother Lily, we urged her to produce a movie for Barbie Forteza and her four leading men in “Meant to Be”: Ken Chan, Jak Roberto, Ivan Dorschner and Addy Raj. Their show is such a big hit they now have a huge legion ...

    • 29 March 2017
      10 hours ago No comment

      Historic impeachment war rocks Philippine politics

      Never has Philippine politics seen this spectacle: both the President and Vice President facing impeachment complaints. This scenario is unfolding fast, with impeachment complaints filed against President Rodrigo Duterte and Vice President Leni Robredo. Duterte and Robredo do not belong to the same political camps that battled it out ...

    • 29 March 2017
      13 hours ago No comment

      Learning Together

      Family literacy program now offered at Ironwood and Cambie Libraries   Richmond, BC – Richmond Public Library is excited to announce that our popular “Learning Together” family literacy program will return to both the Ironwood and Cambie Libraries in the spring of 2017.  This eight-week program for preschoolers and ...

    • 29 March 2017
      16 hours ago No comment

      Dedication of Toni’s son Seve

      The first child of celebrity couple Toni Gonzaga and Paul Soriano has been dedicated on Sunday. This was confirmed by Gonzaga’s younger sister, Alex, who posted their family picture with baby Seve during his dedication on her Instagram account Monday afternoon. “Our chabiloo’s dedication day to our Lord Jesus ...

    %d bloggers like this: