Photo by Wendell Alinea

Pacquiao Corrects the Record about Vargas Bout

  • Page Views 1289
  • By EDDIE G. ALINEA
    Filipino boxing icon and Senator Manny Pacquio dimissed as ridiculous reports that he is unretiring because he is broke and badly needs money.
    The soon-to- be 38-year only man on planet earth to crown himself champion 10 times in eight weight divisions, likewise, laughed off speculations he chose World Boxing Orgnization welterweight ttlist Jessie Vargas as his opponent in his comeback fight because the reigning 147-pound titlist is he easiest to beat among those being considered as his dancing partner when he officially comes ouf of self-imposed retirement two months from now.
    “I’ve been fighting for the past 21 years and recipient of so many what I consider as ‘jokes’  perhaps, to disarm me everytime na lalaban ako. But, I’ll tell you, itong birong ito ang pinaka-nakatatawa at nakaiinis,” Pacquiao, an elected senator during last May’s political exercise  told this writer in an interview shortly after his Team Mahindra’s loss to Rain or Shine in the on-going PBA Govenors’ Cup last Friday.
    “Me, broke? Come on. Last year lang, as member of the Lower House, I was adjudged as the richest congressman based on the statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) I filed for year 2015. How can that happen?” Nagastos ko na lahat ang halos P4 bilyon na kinita ko sa panahon ng pagbo-boksing ko? “the two-time member of he Lower House representing Sarangani Province asked .
    Based on his SALN, which, all government servants are required to submit annually,   Pacquiao, reported a net worth of P3,268,200,088 billion (US$70 million) up until 2015, almost double of the P1.688 billion he recorded the year preceding, the highest among the 290-member House.
    “As a congressman, everybody must have already known that I have been helping so many of my constituents in their needs, most of them  financial assistance, out of my own pocktet. May mga naitayong pabahay, ospital na under construction, iba’t-ibang proyekto. May ilang libo ding scholar,” he rattled in.
    “All of my wealth, of course, came from boxing na naipon ko at ni Jinkee, my wife. Truth is, an I’m not bragging, sa mga kininta ko at ng mga negosyo, hindi na kamin maguguton sa mga nalalabi pa ng buhay namin,” Pacquiao, also a four-division linear belt owner, assured.
    “The future of our five chldren have also been secured,” including yung mga ipanganganganak pa,” he said kiddingly. “Yung mga itinutulong ko sa mga kababayan nating nangagailangan, have also been set in place ng foundation Jinkee and myself have set up.So, ano itong swinasabi nila na naghihirap ako kaya nagbabalik ako sa boksing?”
     Regarding my fights, well, you yourself naman know that who I will be fighting in a partifular encounter has always been decided via consultation among my promoter (Bob Arum of  Top Rank) and my team, ” the ‘Fighter of the Decade’ awardee of the Boxing Writers Adociaiuon of America eplained.
    “Kung sino lumabas sa consensus after considering the pros and cons ng makakalaban, yun na yun. he said. “Never did I pick an opponent. ako, kahit sino ang iharap sa akin, lalabanan ko. Pilipino ako at wala akong kinatatakutan.”
    “Why am I going back to boxing? “Well, sabi ko naman when I announcedd my retirement, I just wanted to feel what it is to be a retired boxer,” he recalled. “Noon wala pa kong idea because I had not experienced being retired.”
    “Ngayon alam ko na. Masaya din, specially when I was elected senator. Mas marami akong napagsisilbihan, hindi lamang mga constituents sa Sarangani, ” Pacquiao asserted. “Enjoy ako. “But the excitement oif boxing is different.”
    “As I have been saying, I ave been fighting all my life. Buhay ko ang boksing. Dito ako nabuhay. Dito kami nabuhay ng Nanay ko at mga kapatid ko. Boksing din ang bumubuhay sa amin ni Jinkee at mga anak ko. hindi ko kayang iwanan basta-basta habang may lakas pa ako,” he Pacman said.
    “I told myself, puwede namang pagsabayin. Boksing at government service. Patuloy akong makakapagpaligaya ng mga tao sa pamamagitan ng boksing. And at the same time, continue serving humanity. Subukan ko nga,” he said.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Alden_Bday2
      20 January 2017
      1 hour ago No comment

      Fans surprise Alden Richards with a birthday bash

      Apart from the birthday celebrations set for the Philippines’ Pambansang Bae Alden Richards, his ever-loyal fans collectively known as the Aldenatics surprised him with a lavish party last January 15 at the Solaire Resort Grand Ballroom in Pasay City. Alden, who always makes time for his supporters, returned to ...

    • Marian Rivera (1)
      20 January 2017
      4 hours ago No comment

      Marian Rivera thanks fans around the world for reaching 3 million Instagram followers

      Kapuso Primetime Queen Marian Rivera-Dantes posted a thank you message for her Instagram followers, which has now reached a whopping 3.3 million. The multi-talented actress and doting mother gained even more followers in her account (@therealmarian) when she started posting photos of her and daughter Maria Letizia wearing matching ...

    • duterte-pope-francis
      20 January 2017
      7 hours ago No comment

      Pope Francis blesses Philippines, Duterte

      Pope Francis on Wednesday blessed the Philippines and President Rodrigo Duterte, months after the firebrand leader apologized for a misunderstanding when he reportedly cursed the head of the Roman Catholic Church for causing heavy traffic during his papal visit to the country in January 2015. Duterte later clarified that ...

    • alex-bornilla
      18 January 2017
      2 days ago No comment

      Filipino named best McDonald’s restaurant manager in Canada

      A Filipino in Yellowknife has been selected as the best manager of a McDonald’s restaurant in Canada, CBC reported on January 16. According to CBC, Alex Bornilla received the distinction back in October last year. “I wouldn’t say I’m the best manager, but I surround myself with a great ...

    • Sangley-Airport
      18 January 2017
      2 days ago No comment

      Bidders vie for Sangley project

      Eleven companies have expressed interest to bid for the P552.8-million rehabilitation and repair of Sangley Airport in Cavite in preparation for the transfer of general aviation operation from Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). The 11 companies which were represented at a pre-bid conference held by the Department of Transportation ...

    %d bloggers like this: