Poe/Duterte cases will test Comelec integrity’

  • Page Views 3212
  • Poe’s motion on the decision of the Comelec’s Second Division duterte-poe was deliberated on by the poll body yesterday but it adjourned at around 6:30 p.m. without coming up with a decision. Also tackled by the Comelec en banc was the case of Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who intends to substitute for Martin Dino as the standard bearer of PDP-Laban.

    Comelec chief Andres Bautista said they are looking at the intricacies surrounding the petitions against the two presidential aspirants and their possible effects to the scheduled release of the final list of candidates on December 15.

    “Puwedeng mangyari is that we will already input whatever names that are already final then meron na lang pahabol. ‘Yun ang mga pinag-aaralan natin,” Bautista told reporters who waited for their decision. Bautista said Comelec en bancwill continue their discussions Monday next week.

    The Comelec Second Division had earlier disqualified Poe from next year’s presidential elections due to citizenship and residency issues.

    Escudero, Poe’s running mate, said he is confident the poll body will reverse the ruling, saying Poe’s camp had submitted pertinent documents that will prove she is qualified to run for president.

    “Lahat naman ng kailangang malaman ukol sa residency at citizenship ni Sen. Grace ay nakapaloob na sa motion for reconsideration. I just hope they will decide on the merits of this case because what is at stake here is the impartiality, integrity and credibility of the Comelec,” Escudero said.

    Poe’s counsel, George Garcia, had earlier said the  three-member Second Division erred and committed grave abuse of discretion when it disqualified her from the presidential race on the ground that she misrepresented the number of years she has been residing in the country.

    Garcia’s point was echoed by Escudero, who added he was disappointed with the haste with which the Second Division came up with its decision when it has yet to weed out nuisance bets from the official list of candidates.

    “Talagang inuna pa nila si Senator Grace at nagulat kami sa bilis ng naging pasya nila,” Escudero said, adding they intend to fight the ruling all the way to the Supreme Court.
    “Kung ang naging pasya ng Comelec Second Division ay halos parepareho naman, iisa lang naman ang kanilang pinanggalingan, pinaghugutan, at tila pati na rin ang nag-appoint sa kanila. Kaya malamang sa Korte Suprema na lamang kami aasa,” Escudero said.

    Poe supporters who showed up at the Comelec office yesterday urged administration standard Manuel Roxas II to fight fairly instead of trying to have Poe disqualified.
    Lastweek, Poe claimed that Roxas and another presidential aspirant, Vice President Jejomar Binay, are behind the moves to disqualify her.

    “ Nanawagan ako kay Roxas: Maglaban ng parehas. Kahit marami ang resources niyo, mauubos din ‘yan. Pinakamaganda ang parehas at patas na laban,” said actor Rex Cortez, who heads the Gawad and Prinsipyo coalition backing Poe.

    Cortez added that he won’t be surprised if Duterte will be  the next target of Roxas’ camp.

    “Hindi maintindihan ang strategy nila na may need to eliminate ang mga kalaban para manalo sila. Ngayon Mayor Duterte is number one sa survey. Naghahanda ang camp na ito to eliminate him,” Cortez said.

    Poe’s supporters have been trooping to Comelec main office in Intramuros since last week to protest her disqualification.

    The Comelec First Division is also hearing the consolidated disqualification cases filed by former University of the East law dean Amado Valdez, former senator Francisco “Kit” Tatad, and De La Salle University professor Antonio Contreras against Poe.

    A petition to disqualify filed by Ruben Castor against Duterte is also pending at the Comelec First Division with a hearing set on December 16.

    In his petition, Castor claimed that “there is clearly no candidate for president who is withdrawing his candidacy for the same position of president; that there is none that respondent Duterte may replace.”(A.Hachero, Malaya)

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 19 January 2019
      2 hours ago No comment

      Overweight Filipino boxer Jhack Tepora fails to make Pacquiao-Broner undercard

      LAS VEGAS – Tinimbang pero sobra. Jhack Tepora came to the weigh-in with extra pounds, and the pride of Cebu paid for it dearly. Tepora was stripped of his interim WBA featherweight belt after failing to make 126-pound weight limit on Friday (January 18). Tepora was also disqualified from ...

    • 18 January 2019
      1 day ago No comment

      4 Pinoy boxers fight in undercard matches in Pacquiao-Broner brawl

      LAS VEGAS – Manny Pacquiao isn’t the only fighter who will carry the Philippine colours on Saturday (January 19). Four Filipino sluggers will also enter the ring at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in their own quests for boxing glory. One of them is WBA interim-featherweight champion Jhack Tepora. ...

    • 17 January 2019
      2 days ago No comment

      AWARD-WINNING FILIPINA POP SINGER FROM JAPAN, ANALYN ALMERINO, TO PERFORM IN RICHMOND ON FEB 9:YOUR CHANCE TO WIN FREE TICKETS

      Analyn Almerino is just 19, but she has already taken first place in two nationally televised singing competitions in Japan. On Feb 9, she will be giving a solo concert in her North American debut, at the Cultural Centre in Richmond, BC. Born in the Philippines, Analyn’s family moved ...

    • 17 January 2019
      2 days ago No comment

      Brillante Mendoza’s acclaimed ‘Alpha’ arrives in cinemas

      The “Alpha” team, led by Mendoza and actors Allen Dizon, Elijah Filamor, and Baron Geisler, came in full force to support the film that had brought honor to our country in international film festivals. FDCP Chairperson Liza Dino, Solar Entertainment General Manager Butch Ibanez, SM Cinema VP for Corporate ...

    • 17 January 2019
      2 days ago No comment

      Pacquiao in emotional homecoming fight in Las Vegas’ MGM Grand

      LAS VEGAS. It will always be the MGM Grand for Emmanuel ‘Manny’ Pacquiao. In his first fight in the U.S. since 2016, Pacquiao will enter the ring at the Garden Arena of Las Vegas’ MGM Grand, where he fought his first professional fight in the U.S. “It’s nice to ...

    %d bloggers like this: