Stopping rice importation ‘dangerous,’ says public advocacy group

  • Page Views 185
  • A public advocacy organization is calling on the Duterte administration to rethink its rice importation policy, describing it as “dangerous.”

    In a statement, the Foundation for Economic Freedom said stopping all rice importation may lead to shortages and increased rice prices.

    “We believe that neither policy allowing the National Food Authority to solely import rice, nor stopping all rice imports, is good for the Filipino consumer or the Filipino rice farmer.”

    “Stopping all rice importation as Agriculture Secretary (Manny) Piñol wants is a dangerous policy that could lead to significant shortages and increased rice prices.

    The country has never been and is not self-sufficient in rice production. Stopping rice imports even during rice harvest season will put upward pressure on rice prices and will lead to significant hikes in rice prices and worsening of hunger and poverty,” the group added.

    It also said allowing only the National Food Authority (NFA) to import rice is a “wrong policy” since the government is “a poor judge of the timing of rice imports.”

    “Typhoons can hit the country at any time and destroy rice crops. Neither is the government equipped to respond quickly to a rice shortage given the bureaucratic procedures in government. A delay in importing rice will lead to significant spikes in rice prices and make rice more unaffordable to the poor,” the group said.

    The group, likewise, called on the Duterte administration to remove the NFA monopoly on rice importation and liberalize rice trade.

    “We support the tariffication of rice imports and using the tariff revenues to help our rice farmers either to shift production to higher-value crops or to increase productivity,” the group said.

    “We believe that rice import liberalization will lead to lower rice prices, lower consumer inflation, and higher disposable income for the working class. It will make our manufacturing more competitive since rice, which is the single biggest source of calories for our workers, will become more affordable.”

    President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday has ordered a temporary halt in rice importation from Vietnam as local farmers posted a high yield of the staple grain this harvest season. (abs-cbn)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 23 April 2017
      2 days ago No comment

      Trump, Trudeau expected in Manila for ASEAN summit

      The Philippines will host a summit of leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), plus other world leaders. The summit in November 2017 will be attended by over 22 VIPs — all 10 ASEAN states plus their dialogue partners, the heads of state or heads of government ...

    • 22 April 2017
      4 days ago No comment

      Travelers cancel Philippine bookings following warnings from Canada and other countries

      Amid the numerous travel advisories issued by Canada and other countries, tourists have started canceling trips to the Philippines particularly in Central Visayas. The U.S., Australia, Canada and Korea have already issued travel advisories for its citizens to be extra cautious when traveling to Central Visayas because of the ...

    • 22 April 2017
      4 days ago No comment

      Canelo and Chavez Jr. a Tale of Two Fighters

      By Julian Fortaleza As the end of April dawns upon us, May brings with it a month of fights that will quench boxing fans thirst for exciting matchups that the sport is lacking in recent years. On May 27th two top welterweights in Errol Spence Jr. and Kell Brook ...

    • 20 April 2017
      6 days ago No comment

      Pacman vs Horn confirmed!

      Philippine world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao’s fight with Australia’s Jeff Horn was confirmed by promoters Sunday, ending lengthy speculation about the bout. The 38-year-old Filipino’s camp announced last week in Manila that the “Pac-Man” would get into the ring with Horn on July 2 in Brisbane, but it was ...

    • 19 April 2017
      7 days ago No comment

      Chot warns: No room for error for Gilas in SEABA tourney

      The Philippines has traditionally dominated the basketball scene in the Southeast Asian region, but Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes remains rightfully wary of the competition ahead of the crucial 2017 SEABA Championship. Since its inception in 1994, the Philippines has won the SEABA Championship seven times, including the most ...

    %d bloggers like this: