Pacquiao always confident , but never overconfident!

  • Page Views 3021
  • Mayweather Sr., who turned to training after his own boxing career was cut short when he was shot in the leg during a family dispute, once almost took a job training Oscar De La Hoya against his son. But the Mayweathers have reconciled and Mayweather Sr. has been in his son’s corner for the last four fights.

    And on Saturday, the 62- year-old Mayweather Sr. will shepherd his now-grown namesake into the ring at the MGM Grand Hotel to take on Filipino icon Pacquiao in a fight that will go a long way to determining who was the greatest fighter of their era.

    Carrying on a family boxing tradition has brought Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) fame and wealth, but the kind of turbulence that surrounded his upbringing is also still a part of his life. But he has multiple convictions for assaulting women, serving two months in jail in 2012 for a hair-pulling, arm-twisting attack on a former girlfriend as two of their children looked on.

    Unlike othe rmillionaire athletes, Mayweather Jr, 38, has never been suspended or sanctioned by one of boxing’s governing bodies over domestic violence incidents. His latest legal trouble unfolded last year when some fellow boxers, who work out at his Las Vegas gym, sued him over training conditions which allegedly included making fighters go 31 rounds without a break. Mayweather Sr. missed seeing his son fight in the 1996 Olympics, where he lost in the semi-finals, because he was in jail. Mayweather Jr. credits his father with leading him down the boxing path to a record purse of more than $150 million.p-m

     

    At least for now, the Mayweathers have also patched up things inside and outside the ring.

    “He might have felt it was my fault, I might have thought it was his,” Mayweather Sr. says. “He’s still my son.”

    Mayweather Sr. boxed for 11 years until his wounds from the shooting and a lung disease that he says he caught in prison made it impossible for him to continue. He fought as a welterweight contender in the 1970s and 1980s, losing by a 1 0th round technical knockout to Sugar Ray Leonard in 1978.

    “I fought Sugar Ray Leonard with one hand. I had a hairline fracture in my hand,” he said.

    But while revered by his son as a boxing “wizard,” his counterpart in the opposite corner this weekend— Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach—is less impressed.

    “The dad gets too excited in the corner, doesn’t give good direction,” Roach said.

    “I’m very happy he’s there, to be honest with you.” (MT)

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • Nathan Longchallon
      18 September 2020
      18 hours ago No comment

      Missing Man in Burnaby: Nathan Longchallon, 26

      The Burnaby RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 26-year-old Nathan Longchallon. Nathan was last seen walking north bound on Patterson Avenue near Victory Street in Burnaby at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. Nathan is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a slender build, ...

    • 17 September 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      B.C. election looms, while chance of federal election lessens

      B.C.’s next provincial election is scheduled to happen on October 16, 2021. But it could take place earlier if the B.C. NDP government of Premier John Horgan decides to call an election earlier. Or if the Horgan government loses the confidence of the legislative assembly. By many indications, Horgan ...

    • 17 September 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Dr. Theresa Tam’s update on COVID-19 

      Ottawa, ON – Public Health Agency of Canada In lieu of an in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement: “There have been 138,803 cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including 9,188 deaths. 88% of people have now recovered. Labs across ...

    • 17 September 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Prime Minister announces next steps for Safe Restart Agreement

      As we move into the fall and the world continues to deal with the impacts of COVID-19, the Government of Canada remains focused on keeping Canadians safe and healthy, while continuing to ensure they have the supports needed during this global health and economic crisis. The Prime Minister, Justin ...

    • 17 September 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Amal Clooney urges PH to protect press freedom, honor international commitments

      International human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin-Clooney on Tuesday urged the Philippine government to protect the free press and honor its international commitments on human rights. Speaking before Philippine business leaders in an online forum, Clooney said, “if you want to have a functioning democracy, protect the press. To protect ...

    %d bloggers like this: