• Page Views 5174
  • UPSET that his request to switch federations last year was ignored by the National Chess Federation of the Philippines, Grandmaster Wesley So has ruled out the possibility of playing for the Philippines in the World Chess Olympiad in Tromso, Norway in August. So made his sentiments known in an in­terview with the website chess­dom.com, say­ing: “Yes. I made a request last November to the President (Pros­pero Pichay Jr.) of the National Chess Federa­tion of the Phil­ippines. I offered to play for the Philippines one last time at the Tromso Chess Olympiad, with the condition that I would be grant­ed permission to switch federation at the conclusion of the even “My request was simply dis­regarded.

    I never received a direct answer. At this point, it is too late for me to represent the Philippines in the up­coming Olympiad in Tromso, even if the NCFP accepts the offer I made last November. I made other commitments af­ter the June 1st deadline for the submission of Olympiad team roster.”

    Eugene Torre, Asia’s first grandmaster and con­sidered the elder statesman of Philippine chess, proposed last Monday the NCFP accede to So’s request as a “win-win solution.”
    So, the country’s top chess players with an Elo rat­ing of 2774, claimed this was not the first time he felt slight­ed by the NCFP.

    He criticized the NCFP for its failure to put up a “se­rious training system,” citing it as one of the reasons in his bid to seek US citizenship and transferring his affiliation with the United States Chess Fed­eration.

    “One of the problems is the current system in the Philippines… there is no seri­ous training system. There are also very few strong tourna­ments in Asia,” said So.
    He pointed out the lack of intensive training and high-level competitions are the same problems plaguing fellow grandmasters like Ju­lio Catalino Sadorra, Oliver Barbosa and Mark Paragua, among others.

    “They need help with training, play in stronger events, and know they will have consistent support from the NCFP,” he added.(Malaya)

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 06 August 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Netflix adds 15 more Filipino films this August and September

      Netflix is back with 15 Filipino films coming on to the service starting this August, including Netflix Original “Love the Way U Lie.” Staying true to their commitment to bring more Filipino content to the service, Netflix is announcing new films from Viva Communications, Regal Films, TBA Studios, The ...

    • 06 August 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Kris Aquino’s TV5 show reportedly canceled anew; Ria Atayde thankful to host TV5 show

      “Queen of All Media” Kris Aquino’s new TV show, “Love Life with Kris,” has been canceled again, a TV5 insider exclusively told Philstar.com. Kris, however, has not yet released a statement on the allegation. In her latest Instagram post as of writing, she gave a preview of her TV5 show, ...

    • 06 August 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      New mobile app to help notify Canadians of potential COVID-19 exposure now available

      The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, and the Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, today announced that COVID Alert, a new national mobile app, is now available to Canadians for free download. The app, first developed in Ontario, helps notify users if they may have been exposed to someone who has ...

    • 06 August 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Current and classic shows airing for free on Kapamilya Online Live

      ABS-CBN gives viewers a new viewing experience of its programs as it launches Kapamilya Online Live to provide livestreaming of its new and well-loved shows on ABS-CBN Entertainment’s YouTube and Facebook pages. Offered for free and without any subscription fee, Kapamilya Online Live shows a mix of current shows ...

    • 06 August 2020
      2 days ago No comment

      Latest lockdowns dampen hopes for Philippine economic recovery

      A new lockdown has begun in Metro Manila, Laguna, Cavite, Rizal, and Bulacan amid rising cases of COVID-19 in the Philippines. The lockdowns are seen to dampen hopes of economic recovery in the country. On August 5, it was reported that the Philippine economy shrank 16.5 percent in the ...

    %d bloggers like this: